Interested in learning programming? Learn to Program Your Raspberry Pi takes you from ordering and setting up your Raspberry Pi right through to creating a sophisticated game and setting up a remote weather station.
Learn to Program Your Raspberry Pi includes sections on:
- Discovering the Raspberry Pi and why it’s different to a laptop
- How to set up the hardware and software so you can get started
- What programming is and why you should learn it
- What Python is and why it’s the best choice for learning programming
- Python basics, how it makes decisions and how it organises code
- How to create a simple shoot ’em up
- Creating a more complex game
- How to set up a weather station
- Connecting to other services – specifically Dropbox – from within your code
- Running the Pi without monitor, keyboard and mouse, from another computer
- Create a robot
You can find all the code from the book on this website, although we recommend building your projects alongside the book otherwise it won’t make much sense.
Rob Wheeler of PiAddict magazine (www.piaddict.com) says
‘Learn to Program Your Raspberry Pi’ isn’t a book like the ‘Raspberry Pi User Guide’ or the ‘Raspberry Pi Manual’ that takes you step by step through the Raspberry Pi and the many different things it can do, it is a book on programming in Python for the Raspberry Pi
[…] the book introduces programming in Python by concentrating on games and the python library ‘Pygame’ […] and offers a Python programming and Pi hardware hacking project to create a fully functioning climate monitoring station.
A great introduction to Python and hacking the Pi.”
PiAddict is a monthly magazine available in digital and print formats containing entirely original content – check it out at www.piaddict.com